St. James High School
School Improvement Council Minutes
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Jean Young-SIC Chairman Michelle Collins-SIC Secretary
Caroline Ross-Guidance Kendall Securro, Student
Margie Riedinger-Parent Jasmyn Robinson, Student
Jennifer Bayliff-Parent Mark Mitchell-Advisory Board Member
Helene Gerrald-Parent Bill Krauss-Teacher
Janice Morreale-School Board Representative
Deron Dolfi-Assistant Principal
Advisory Board Update:
- Five schools are under construction in Horry County – 1 in the St. James cluster
- Focus is on the technology that is being used in the schools, calendar for the new school year and make up days from Hurricane Matthew
- The purpose of the Advisory Board is to address questions/concerns of parents
Riley Award: St. James High SIC made the Honor Roll, but did not make the Top 5 -news was received on Feb. 15, 2017.
Health Science Program of Study at SJHS Presentation:
- This is a program at St. James High School that offers several different programs/classes in health related fields: Nursing, Physicians, Dentists, Vet, Pharmacy, EMS and Psychology.
- This is an depth career project that helps students to understand the process for getting a medical degree in different fields
- There are internship opportunities for students in the different fields of study. There are 3 types of internships available for students: sports medicine, health science (physical therapy, orthopedics, vet, pharmacy, dentistry-4 week rotation) and medical mentoring (summer opportunities).
- All schools in the St. James cluster participated in The Great Kindness Challenge during the week of January 23-27, 2017 and it was well received in the cluster. We also had local media coverage in the morning and evening news.
- All schools in the St. James cluster collected items to donate to the local homeless shelters. The SIC along with students from various clubs assembled the items in zip lock bags on February 7th.
- A Flag was flown at the U.S. Capitol at the request of House of Representatives member Tom Rice in recognition of SJHS winning Palmetto Finest. The Flag will be displayed at school.
- Graduation dates are going before the Board on February 20th. There are several venues that are being discussed for the graduation ceremony and CCU is a strong contender for the ceremony to be held. At this time the school is expecting between 2600-2700 people (students, parents, Marshals, teachers, etc.). The number of tickets each graduate should receive is 7, and there will be approximately 353 graduates.
- Open House will be on Feb. 28th from 4-7 P.M. There will be a representative from the PACE program here at Open House to talk with parents. The PACE meeting will be at 6:00 P.M.
- Budget Meeting - staffing for the 2017-2018 school year and there will be some new positions for teachers
Guidance Updates: (Mrs. Ross)
- 11th graders will be taking the ACT on Feb. 28th
- Work Keep testing will be held in March
- AP Testing in May
- EOC Testing in May
- IGPs are still in progress and should be completed soon
- Kendall and other student representatives went to a leadership conference in Chicago. There were schools from around the world working together at this conference. They worked together to learn how implement programs into their schools and for student councils to network. The purpose is improve student involvement in student council.
Next Meeting Date:
- Tuesday, March 14 @ 5:30 P.M.