HCS professional school counselors are uniquely qualified to address the academic, career and personal/social developmental needs of all Horry County Schools students through the implementation of a comprehensive school guidance and counseling program. School counselors are advocates for children and agents for change who work hard to serve students and parents and help ensure that today's students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow.
School counselors can help students with:
- Academics - grades, attendance, goal-setting
- Careers – career exploration (including field trips and speakers), enrollment in college, employment, enlisting in the military
- Social/emotional – making friends, getting along with others and coping with life changes
- Working directly with students, school and district faculty and staff and families to facilitate overall student success
- Post-secondary preparation and planning
How We Directly Support Schools
- Provide crisis and safety interventions and supports
- Conduct guidance evaluations (individual and program)
- Administers professional development for guidance counseling and Individual Graduation Plans
- Career Cruising - Helping students plan a pathway for their future. Log in to the APS portal to learn more.
- Clothing and shoe vouchers - Provided by Christ Child and Project Shoes. Contact your child’s school counselor for more information
- College readiness- FAFSA, ACT, SAT, College Credit Plus, etc.
- Enrollment and registration- Processes, forms, and open enrollment
- Graduation and testing requirements
Pre-college programs (see a counselor for more information):
- Upward Bound