Fundamentals Of Computing
Fundamentals Of Computing
Classroom Introductions, Expectations, Lab Rules. Network Acceptable Use Policies, Class Syllabus Handouts
Know Your Neighbor PowerPoint--Create a Personal Power Point on the person that sits to your right and the person that sits on your left. . Go from birth to now. Also include you future plans. Be a through as possible. Include pictures, stories, etc. etc. Time to be creative. Sports Interests, Favorite sport, players, team, Favorite food, parents, siblings, pets, etc. etc. Minimum of 6 slides
All Below listed Power Points must have a minimum of 8 slides each
1- Power Point For Business Presentation--You have been hired to create a new school year--modifying the current schedule. Please come up your school attendance plan and explain on each slide the benefits with your change. Examples: Year Round, 4 days a week, 5 days one week, 4 days the next week, a week off after each grading period and the ideas go on and on. Change the day schedule: 4 x 4 block semester schedule (8 credits per year) 4 block alternating schedule (still 8 credits per year) or change to 6 to 8 periods a day. Remember your school year must have the required time for a student to attend. Research other school systems in other states and see how they do it. Your main concern with changing the schedule will be providing a better education to the students while cutting operating expenses, thus saving money.
2 - Power Point : Work Safety on the Computer
3 - Power Point: Office Safety
4 - Power Point: General Safety at Home & Everyday Living
5 – Power Point: School / Classroom Safety
Create a 5 Slide PPT covering the following subjects:
What are soft skills?
Why are soft skills important?
Provide 3 scenarios in which soft skills were/were not used and explain what went right or wrong.
Apply to life: Explain a time where you have practiced Soft Skills.
Present a problem and solve that problem using the learned techniques of Soft Skills.
You are a manager at a cooperate office hiring the best-skilled employee, create a PPT representing 4 individuals for an interview, introducing employees with the best soft skills, and the least soft skills. Explain why or why not each employee may or may not be picked for the job based on their actions.
Using Word, create a page script of a conversation between an employer and an employee. Make sure to represent good use of soft skills. Be creative and include many interactions between the employer and the employee.
Using Word, List 10 soft skills employers want the most and explain / define each
Using Word, Describe why soft skills are so important during the interview process and how important for students to learn soft skills.
Define hard skills and soft skills and compare / Explain the need for balance
All Assignments need to be created and not downloaded. Some files the book says download the data file. We do not have the data files but they can be found on the Internet. If you take someone else’s files off the Internet it is considered cheating and zeros will be given.
Create a Power Point on Career and Technology Student Organizations.
FBLA, DECA, FCCLA, HOSA, National Technical Honor Society
Purpose, Benefits, Responsibilities of members, Student Opportunities, Conferences, & Competitions
Introduction To Technology
Using Word, Create a vocabulary listing of all bold words in this section of the book. Include the word and the definition. Pages IT 2 thru IT 36.
Define the Vocab Terms from the PDF File at the Top of the Page. Compete 20 words weekly. Email with Shark Bait Questions every 2 weeks. Please type work and the definition in complete sentences.
Using Word, Create a vocabulary listing of all bold words in this section of the book. Include the word and the definition. Pages WD 2 thru WD 54.
WD 3 Work Thru Chapter Adventure
WD 55 Please Do Not Feed The Wildlife
WD 57 Baseball Tryouts
WD 58 Create Hair Stack Beauty Salon
WD 60 Puppy For Sale
Using Word, Create a vocabulary listing of all bold words in this section of the book. Include the word and the definition. Pages WD66 thru WD 123.
WD 67 Work Thru Chapter Access Granted
WD 128 Health Risks
WD 136 Social Media Sites
Special - Month You were Born
Special - Research Paper -- Tattoos’ -- Explain why they are so popular--are they healthy? Etc. Etc. Please be a detailed as possible. Please work site your information. Min. 4 pages
Using Word, Create a vocabulary listing of all bold words in this section of the book. Include the word and the definition. Pages WD 138 thru WD 189.
WD 139 Work Thru Chapter Alexander Lee Samaras
WD 194 Bugby’s Fitness Club
WD 196 Victoria Holland
Word – Special Computing Careers–
1. Compare and contrast the five disciplines of computing: computer science, software engineering, information technology, information systems, and computer engineering.
2. Compare and contrast careers in computing along with their education, training requirements, industry certifications and salary ranges.
3. Identify gender, diversity and geographic related issues in computing.
4. Describe how computing enhances other career fields.
Create of resume and cover letter for your favorite computer career job.
Web Design Online weebly.com
1. Discuss the results of Internet searches and the reliability of information found on Web sites.
2. Describe how Web sites are used to communicate and exchange data.
3. Examine the consequences resulting from issues involving ethics around security, privacy, copyright, fair use, intellectual property, social media and licensing.
4. Explain the importance of Acceptable Use Policies.
5. Explain the importance of data security and physical security.
6. Explain the concepts of confidentiality, integrity, and availability (CIA).
7. Identify computing threats (e.g., spyware, adware, malware, viruses, ransomware, phishing, hacking, software piracy, identity theft, etc.) and their potential impacts on society.
8. Explain the concept of encryption and how it is used on a daily basis.
Create a page for each topic. Include pictures and links to your outside sources.
Special Publisher Section
Create a Newsletter on St James 2 to 3 pages
Create Business Card & Letterhead (personal or business) Must include Name, address, phone, email, fax number
Fliers Promoting Membership in FBLA—DECA—FCCLA –(3 Different fliers) See Clubs section of website for information
Family Calendar--12months--include holidays, family and friends birthdays, etc. etc
Children’s Book – 10 pages—Write your story and include pictures that you draw
Using Word, Create a vocabulary listing of all bold words in this section of the book. Include the word and the definition. Pages EX 2 thru EX 54.
EX 2 Work Thru Chapter Personal Budget Worksheet
EX 56 Treagle Market
EX 57 Kaseey Vehicles
Using Word, Create a vocabulary listing of all bold words in this section of the book. Include the word and the definition. Pages EX 66 thru EX 118.
EX 67 Work Thru Chapter HyperMass Online Storage
EX 119 / 120 Briteeny Taxi
Using Word, Create a vocabulary listing of all bold words in this section of the book. Include the word and the definition. Pages EX 130 thru EX 192.
EX 131 Work Thru Chapter FroYoToGo
EX 196 / 197 Wheels About Town
Fundamentals of Programming
ROBOTICS (recommended 1 robot per 2 students)
BirdBrain Technologies Hummingbird Robot – http://www.hummingbirdkit.com
LEGO Mindstorms NXT, EV3 or newer – http://mindstorms.lego.com
MakeBlock mBot or Ranger– http://www.makeblock.cc/mbot
Parallax Board of Education – https://www.parallax.com/product
28850 VEX – http://www.vexrobotics.com/vexiq?ref=hometile
Edison – http://meetedison.com
BirdBrain Technologies Finch Robot – http://finchrobot.com
Power Point 1 Technology Knowledge
Please cover all topics in detail. Include pictures
Describe proper netiquette when using e-mail, social media, and other technologies for communication purposes.
Identify potential abuse and unethical uses of laptops, tablets, computers, and/or networks.
Explain the consequences of social, illegal, and unethical uses of technology (e.g., cyberbullying, piracy; illegal downloading; licensing infringement; inappropriate uses of software, hardware, and mobile devices in the school / work environment).
Describe ethical and legal practices of safeguarding the confidentiality of business-and personal-related information.
Describe possible threats to a laptop, tablet, computer, and/or network and methods of avoiding attacks.
Discuss various solutions to common hardware and software problems.
Power Point 2 Personal Qualities & Employability Skills
Be very detailed in explaining each topic and give examples.
Discuss punctuality, self-representation, work ethic, respect, time management, integrity, leadership, teamwork and collaboration, conflict resolution, perseverance, commitment, a healthy view of competition, a global perspective, health and fitness, self-direction, and lifelong learning.
Power Point 3 Professional Knowledge
Be very detailed in explaining each topic and give examples
Discuss effective speaking and listening skills, effective reading and writing skills, mathematical reasoning (Excel), critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, creativity and resourcefulness, an understanding of business ethics, confidentiality, an understanding of workplace structures, organizations, systems, and climates, diversity awareness, job acquisition and advancement skills, task management skills, customer-service skills.
Power Point 4 Innovation of the Computer
Define hardware, software, data,
Identify key individuals and their impact on the field of computing.
Discuss the progression of computing and explain its impact on society (e.g. hardware, programming languages, applications, Internet, emerging technologies, etc.).
Explain Moore’s Law.
Power Point 5 Computing Systems
1.Identify and define the key functional components (input devices, output devices, processor, operating system, software applications, memory, storage, etc.).
2. Understand the terms and units that are used to describe major hardware components (RAM, ROM, Peta-, Tera-, Giga-, Mega- Kilo-, Hz, Bit, Byte, Binary, etc.).
3. Describe how software and hardware interact.
4. Discuss how and why binary is used to represent data in a computer.
5. Describe how a picture, sound/song, and video are digitized and represented in a computer.
6. Compare and contrast operating systems (e.g., Mac, Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, iOS, Android).
7. Evaluate hardware and software configuration to meet situational and budgetary requirements (e.g. gaming, Internet browsing, student, graphic designer, etc.).
8. Make hardware and software recommendations to improve a computer system.
Power Point 6 Ethical, Legal & Social Issues of Computing
1. Examine the consequences resulting from issues involving ethics around security, privacy, copyright, fair use, intellectual property, social media and licensing.
2. Explain the importance of Acceptable Use Policies.
3. Explain the importance of data security and physical security.
4. Explain the concepts of confidentiality, integrity, and availability (CIA).
5. Identify computing threats (e.g., spyware, adware, malware, viruses, ransomware, phishing, hacking, software piracy, identity theft, etc.) and their potential impacts on society.
6. Explain the concept of encryption and how it is used on a daily basis.