HCS Early College High School
Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID is a system that prepares students for four-year college eligibility.
- Academic success in high school and college classes with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Successful completion of college placement requirements.
- Enrollment in a post-secondary program after high school graduation.
- Maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes.
- Maintain the AVID binder contents, including, but not limited to Cornell notes and agenda.
- Come to ALL classes prepared for class EVERYDAY.
- Participate in extracurricular activities, community service, and service learning.
- Prepare and take college entrance exams, such as ACCUPLACER, ACT, and SAT.
- Strive to always abide by the four ECHS School Wide Outcomes: Personal Responsibility, Social Responsibility, Critical Thinking, and Communication.
- Follow the ECHS, HCS, and HGTC
- Will ask for help when I do not know the answer or know where to go to find the answer.
I agree to accept enrollment into the AVID Elective class, which will offer academic support to me. I want to succeed, and I understand that I must take individual responsibility for my own success. I also understand that studies show I will be most likely to demonstrate academic improvement if I dedicate myself to the AVID program and implement the AVID strategies in my high school and college classes.
Parent Support Agreement:
- Partner with the AVID Elective teacher through regular communication and attendance at parent
- Check for an organized binder with agenda and Cornell
- Monitor my child's academic process to ensure that he/she is on track for successful completion of college eligibility requirements; I will do this by checking PowerSchool and monitoring college coursework.
- Encourage completion of college entrance exams and all paperwork needed for post-secondary opportunities.
- Encourage participation in community service, extracurricular activities, and leadership
School Support Agreement:
- The AVID Teacher agrees to support the students by motivating, encouraging, and providing necessary strategies to be successful both in and out of the classroom.
- The AVID Teacher will monitor the student’s academic progress to ensure that he/she is on track for successful completion of high school classes.
- The AVID Teacher will encourage completion of college entrance exams by providing study tips and practice tests.
- The AVID Coordinator and Principal will monitor tutorials to ensure continuity of AVID standards.
- The Guidance Counselor will hold an IGP with each student to ensure high school and college eligibility requirements are being met.
- The Advisor will encourage participation in community service, extracurricular activities, and leadership
- All responsible parties will provide students with a safe learning environment.
Support Statement: We agree to support the efforts of this student in meeting the goals outlined above.
*Student, principal, parent, advisor, AVID teacher and AVID coordinator sign document.*