Elementary Tips - Learn How To Learn
Now is the time to concentrate on improving skills as a student. Parents can assist their children by practicing the following tips, which may help students enjoy classes more:
- Sit close to the front of the classroom when possible.
- Join in class discussions.
- Ask questions. If you don’t understand something, chances are others in the class don’t understand either.
- Keep up with class assignments. Finish them before they are due.
- Read, read and read. When students enter elementary school, it is not long before they can and must use reading skills and strategies to learn all about the world around them in every subject and content area.
- Learn to proofread, correct and rewrite your written work. Sometimes if you read your work out loud, it is easier to know what changes need to be made.
- Learn early to take good class notes. You’ll take lots of notes throughout the rest of your life.
- Join a school club or participate in afterschool activities. This will assist in developing good communications skills and will expose students to things that interest them.
- Students with parents/guardians who are involved in their school, have fewer behavioral problems and better academic performance and are more likely to have consistent attendance and enjoy going to school.
- Learn about HCS program options and how to make the most of your college years.
Sources: College Board, Big Future, Great Schools.org, Williamsburg Learning, NCAA, Federal Student Aid office of the US Department of Education, Princeton Review and US News and World Report.