Reading Book Buddies Program
Reading Buddies of Myrtle Beach is a community engagement initiative created to encourage individuals, businesses, city government, civic and faith-based organizations to serve at-risk elementary students as literacy mentors to encourage their academic and lifelong success.
- The #1 indicator of success in a child's life is the ability to read at grade level by the end of 3rd grade.
- Children learn to read through the 3rd grade. After 3rd grade, they read to learn for the rest of their lives.
- 3rd graders who cannot read at grade level are four times as likely to drop out of high school. (SC Education Oversight Committee)
- 3rd graders who cannit read at grade level experience significantly higher rates of juvenile delinquency, lifelong poverty, dependence on welfare, adult illiteracy and incarceration. (SC Education Oversight Committee)
- 3rd grade reading scores can be used to project future prison populations.
- Students with weekly mentor support for at least six months are 87% more likely to graduate from high school.
We need adult mentors to read with children 30-60 minutes per week at school to help them experience academic and lifelong success.
Flexible schedules guided by homeroom teachers assigned by school administration are available during the the school administration area available during the school day 7:30 AM-2:00 PM.
Are you willing to invest 30-60 minutes per week to change the life of a child?
Contact:Dana Chestnut at email@example.com