Symptom Monitoring Requirements
At this time, these symptoms include one or more of the following:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Runny nose or new sinus congestion
- Muscle aches or pain
- Sore throat
- New gastro-intestinal symptoms
- New loss of taste or smell
Staff, contracted vendors, students, or visitors should be excluded from HCS facilities if they test positive for COVID-19 or exhibit one or more of the symptoms of COVID-19 based on CDC guidance that is not otherwise explained.
- Symptom Screening Checklist: Designed to be administered to any person entering the building including staff, contracted vendors, students, or visitors who has not conducted a self-screening at home. (HCS Symptom Screening Checklist)
- Ensure coordination with school nursing staff.
- Provide guidance for parents/families on screening protocols to prepare students for the screening process.
- Create a screening plan that includes entrances, personnel needed, time limits, and handing off of symptom positive students, and use of thermometers per manufacturer requirements.
Student/Employee Absence Log
Any student/employee who reports an illness while at school or prior to the beginning of the school day will be assessed using the Student/Employee Absence Log by the School Nurse or if an employee, their supervisor. If a student/employee reports an absence prior to coming to school, or becomes ill while at school, the school nurse or immediate Supervisor will utilize the Student/Employee Absence Log to document any potential spread of the virus and assist in early recognition of any areas of a potential outbreak. The information gathered from the form will be accessed by the Health Services Director. The Health Services Director will follow the recommendations from the CDC and Prevention and SCDHEC to monitor and assess the potential spread of the virus and initiate steps to mitigate it. If localized outbreaks emerge, tighter restrictions may need to be implemented to ensure the safety of all students and staff.