2022-2023 GUIDELINES FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE
All Community Service Logs are to be completed by the students. They must include an attached photo of the service event AND submit the information using the Google Form link:
Students, you MUST include the following information on your Community Service Google Form:
- your name
- your grade
- the date you complete community service
- the number of hours you completed as a volunteer
- the location name and address where you completed your community service
- the sponsor’s/supervisor’s name AND EMAIL ADDRESS
- description of the community service(s) you performed/completed
- at least ONE (up to five) photo(s) attached that shows the community service location, during the time you completed the volunteer hours, and YOU (the student) MUST be CLEARLY visible in the photo.
All information MUST be completed correctly within the Google Form for the student to receive CREDIT for their community service hours performed/completed.
COMPLETED Community Service Google Forms are due on the last school day of each month.
If you have any questions regarding community service hours, contact Ms. Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL COMPLETED COMMUNITY SERVICE LOG GOOGLE FORMS FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR ARE DUE TO BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED:
NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, APRIL 28, 2023
HCS SCHOLARS ACADEMY REQUIREMENTS FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE
All students enrolled at HCS Scholars Academy must complete 15 hours of community service each school year. All community service hours must be non-profit in nature. Students may NOT be paid for any community service hours/activities.
At least one-half of the required community service hours should be completed in the Horry County area. Hours completed during a school holiday or at the end of any month may be listed and submitted on the next month’s completed Google form. No more than 8 hours of community service will be approved for SUMMER prior to the beginning of each school year.
Summer hours MUST be completed AND submitted via the Google Form by Wednesday, August 31, 2023
Community Service activities are defined as those activities that provide a benefit to the community. Any community service activities that are NOT on the approved list below MUST be submitted for prior approval by the Guidance Counselor or the Principal. Also, Voluntary Activity Agreements are available from the Guidance Counselor if an agency or event requests a release and waiver to obtain approval for a non-profit community service opportunity.
Activities that typically WILL be approved as community service hours are the following:
- Any activity that is posted/announced by HCS Scholars Academy requesting volunteers
- City, county, community, or church sponsored events, trips, and activities
- Activities completed for HCS Scholars Academy during after-school hours, such as open house, recruitment visits, parent programs, or approved student tutoring
Activities that typically WILL NOT be approved as community service hours are the following:
- Any activities performed for family members
- Babysitting, unless there are extenuating circumstances (i.e.: providing respite for parents for a special-needs child and this MUST be submitted for prior approval by the Guidance Counselor or the Principal)
- Regular club activities-meetings, conferences, etc. (Club community service activities will count)
- Activities (i.e.: filing, answering phones, stocking) performed at a business that is not considered a charity or non-profit
- Yardwork, unless there are extenuating circumstances (i.e.: providing services for an elderly or handicapped person and this MUST be submitted for prior approval by the Guidance Counselor or the Principal)
- Activities such as a theater production, concerts, athletic events (unless on the approved list)
- Donations such as food drives, clothing, household articles, or monetary donations are not approved as community service hours
HCS Scholars Academy will forward information regarding any/all approved community service activities with the weekly announcement email notices. Please read the announcements carefully for possible opportunities to earn community service hours.
Community Service hours are most beneficial for the student if they are related to a student’s hobby, personal interests, intended college major, or possible future career. Enjoy your community service volunteer hours as you participate in lifelong learning through active participation in community service activities that increase awareness of needs in our society and build a connection between the classroom and the “real world” issues of our community.