DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO EARN COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS DURING THE SUMMER FOR NEXT SCHOOL YEAR???
Up to 12 hours of community service will be approved for SUMMER prior to the beginning of each school year. Summer hours MUST be submitted by the last school day of August for the school year 2021-2022.
Community Service Log forms are to be completed by the student AND be APPROVED by the supervisor/sponsor of the volunteer service activity.
You MUST include the following information on your community service log form:
- your name
- your grade
- the month of service
- the number of hours you volunteered
- the sponsor/supervisor’s name AND contact information
- a description of the service(s) you performed/provided
All information on the community service log form must be legible in order to receive credit.
GUIDELINES FOR COMMUNITY SERVICE
All students enrolled at Scholars Academy High School must complete 24 hours of community service each school year. All community service hours must be non-profit in nature. Students may NOT be paid for any community service hours/activities.
At least one-half of the required community service hours should be completed in the Horry County area. Hours completed during a school holiday or at the end of any month may be listed and submitted on the next month’s completed form. No more than 12 hours of community service will be recorded for SUMMER prior to the beginning of each school year. Summer hours MUST be submitted by the last school day of August.
ALL community service hours AND log forms for the 2021-2022 school year will be due to be completed no later than APRIL 30th
Community Service activities are defined as those activities that provide a benefit to the community. Any community service activities that are NOT on the approved list below MUST be submitted for prior approval by Guidance or the Principal. Also, Voluntary Activity Agreements are available from Guidance if an agency or event requests a release and waiver to obtain approval for a non-profit community service opportunity.
Activities that typically WILL be approved as community service hours are the following:
- Any activity that is posted/announced by Scholars Academy High School requesting volunteers
- City, county, community, or church sponsored events, trips, and activities
- Activities completed for Scholars Academy High School during after-school hours, such as open house, recruitment visits, parent programs, or approved student tutoring
Activities that typically WILL NOT be approved as community service hours are the following:
- Any activities performed for family members
- Babysitting, unless there are extenuating circumstances (i.e.: providing respite for parents for a special-needs child and this MUST be submitted for prior approval by Guidance or the Principal)
- Regular club activities-meetings, conferences, etc. (Club community service activities will count)
- Activities (i.e.: filing, answering phones, stocking) performed at a business that is not considered a charity or non-profit
- Yardwork, unless there are extenuating circumstances (i.e.: providing services for an elderly or handicapped person and this MUST be submitted for prior approval by Guidance or the Principal)
- Activities such as a theater production, concerts, athletic events (unless on the approved list)
- Donations such as food drives, clothing, household articles, or monetary donations are not approved as community service hours
Scholars Academy High School will forward information regarding any/all approved community service activities with the weekly announcement email notices. Please read the announcements carefully for possible opportunities to earn community service hours.
Community Service hours are most beneficial for the student if they are related to a student’s hobby, personal interests, intended college major, or possible future career. Enjoy your community service volunteer hours as you participate in lifelong learning through active participation in community service activities that increase an awareness of needs in our society and build a connection between the classroom and the “real world” issues of our community.
This PDF form is fillable. You may type the required information and then print it to obtain the approval of the supervisor/sponsor once you have completed any community service. Once you have completed the service and have supervisor/sponsor approval you may submit your completed form in person to the front desk at the Scholars Academy or you may email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.