Myrtle Beach High Dress Code/Policy
Student dress should be confined to clothes that are reasonable, practical, and in good taste for school. School attire should reflect good taste, cleanliness, and comfort.
The school will make judgments and decisions as needed to preserve the health, safety, and decorum of students. Student cooperation is expected in the following areas:
- All students are required to wear appropriate footwear for school (no slippers).
- All shirts and tops must cover the midriff at all times. The following are examples of clothing that is unacceptable: tank tops with straps thinner than 2 inches, strapless, spaghetti straps, off-the-shoulder, cut-out designs, low-cut shirts, bare-back, fishnet stockings, sheer or mesh clothing that does not have an appropriate blouse or shirt underneath, etc.
- All pants and shorts must fit at the waist. No sagging or low riding pants or shorts will be permitted. Clothing must cover undergarments when sitting, standing, or bending.
- Hemlines and slits on dresses, skirts, and shorts (including bike shorts) above mid-thigh are not acceptable. Length cannot be shorter than the tip of the fingers when arms are placed straight at the sides of the body.
- Pants may not have holes that are visible above the tip of the fingers when arms are placed straight at the sides of the body. Leggings or form-fitting pants must be worn with a shirt that covers the student’s hips.
- Headwear (including scarves, bandanas, or other head dressings) may not be brought on to campus unless approved by the principal.
- Hoods from sweatshirts or jackets may not be worn in the building for any reason,
- Clothing or jewelry that depicts any “gang style” writing; illegal activity; sexually related or obscene gestures and material; tobacco; drugs; alcohol; or words, pictures, or phrases that depict violence or intimidation may not be worn.
- Any body piercing that presents a safety issue or major distraction will not be allowed.
- Any clothing or styles of dress that may be construed to provoke fear, violence, or intimidation, including gang-related attire, is not acceptable.
If a student chooses not to follow the dress code requirements, he/she will be asked to call home for a change of clothes. The students will not be allowed to return to class until the situation has been corrected. The students will remain in ISS until a change of clothes has arrived.
- 1st Offense – Teacher Warning/Parents informed. Document in Log Entries
- 2nd Offense – Referral to Administrator- Lunch Detention (20 minutes)
- 3rd Offense – Referral to Administrator- ISS 1 day
- 4th Offense – Referral to Administrator- OSS 1 day
- 5th Offense – Referral to Administrator- OSS 2 days
- 6th Offense – Referral to Administrator- OSS 3 day
- 7th Offense – OSS pending Expulsion Hearing