Information updated September 3, 2021
*For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 no less than two weeks after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or ≥2 weeks after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson (J&J)/Janssen).
*A CLOSE CONTACT is someone who was within 6 feet of an infected individual (laboratory-confirmed or a clinically compatible illness) for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period (for example, three individual 5-minute exposures for a total of 15 minutes) from 48 hours prior to symptom onset (or specimen collection for an asymptomatic infected person) of the infected person.
** 3-Cohort Positive: Three or more COVID-19 cases identified within a class or other cohort of students
(ex. athletic teams, musical ensembles, or other extra-curricular groups) within 10 days.
+ CLOSE CONTACT: Quarantine is not required for individuals who have tested positive (laboratory-confirmed)
for COVID-19 in the last 90 days if a face mask is worn for 10 days.
» Continue to monitor for symptoms until Day 14 after last time coming into contact with the COVID-19 case.
§ Viral tests include those collected by a swab of the nose or throat (PCR or antigen tests). Blood tests for antibodies
may not be used to shorten quarantine. Negative COVID-19 test results should be sent via email to
negativeCOVID19testresults@horrycountyschools.net or be submitted at the school.
Staff who have been a “close contact” of an infected indivudual, will be notified by their school nurse or supervisor that they may be subject to state-mandated quarantine procedures as outlined above. Please contact your school nurse and/or supervisor if you have a positive COVID-19 test result.
According to SCDHEC, districts and schools may elect to implement or forego the option of shortened quarantine depending on their individual capabilities. Individuals should defer to district or school policy when determining their return to the educational environment from quarantine.
Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) QUALIFYING REASONS FOR LEAVE RELATED TO COVID-19 (Expires December 31, 2021): An employee is entitled to take leave related to COVID-19 if the employee is unable to work, including unable to telework, because the employee:
1. is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
2. has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
3. is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;
4. is caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2);
5. is caring for his or her child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) due to COVID-19 related reasons; or
6. is experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Effective July 1, 2021, HCS extended COVID-19 related employee leave coverage through December 31, 2021, under the following conditions:
- Based upon individual circumstances, an employee is eligible for up to 80 hours of fully paid leave, as specified above under FFCRA qualifying reasons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, which expired December 31, 2020.
- An employee who is able to perform his/her work responsibilities from a remote/virtual environment may submit a request to his/her supervisor that will be evaluated by the Human Resources Department. Any employee submitting such a request must meet FFCRA qualifying reasons 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.
- An employee can use personal, sick, or annual leave due to FFCRA qualifying reasons 1, 2, 3, or 4.
- An employee can use personal or annual leave to provide child care for his/her child due to FFCRA qualifying reason 5.
NOTE: *Part-time employees will be eligible for leave that is pro-rated based upon the total number of hours per week that they work.
Email HCSCOVID19leave@horrycountyschools.net for questions regarding COVID-19 absences.
Email COVID19info@horrycountyschools.net for questions regarding COVID-19 quarantines and contact tracing.