Student Enrollment/Registration Resources

  • Para ver esta página en español, seleccione la opción de traducción en la esquina superior derecha de la página web y seleccione entre más de 100 opciones de idioma.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

      Birth Certificate

      • Is a birth certificate required to enroll my student? (BC)

      • Is a "long form" copy of my student's birth certificate required to enroll? (BC)

      • Is there a way to request a new copy of my student's birth certificate? (BC)

      Immunization Records

      • Is a SC Certificate of Immunization required to enroll my student? (CI)

      • I only have an immunization record from another state. Can I still enroll my student? (CI)

      • My student's immunization records are in another state or on file at the previous school. Can I still enroll my student? (CI)

      Proof of Residency

      • Is Proof of Residency (POR) required to enroll my student? (POR)

      • My student and I reside with extended family and I have no valid Proof of Residency documents in my name. Can I still enroll my child? (POR)

      • My student and I reside in a long-term hotel. Can i still enroll my student? (POR)

      • My student been approved for an In-District Transfer. Do I have to provide Proof of Residency? (POR)

      • Is my photo ID or voter registration card an acceptable Residency Verification document?

      Parental Custody & Guardianship

      • S.C. Code Ann. § 59-63-30 governs the qualifications of children attending public schools in South Carolina.  Under this statute, Horry County Schools (HCS) has a legal obligation to verify an enrolling student's legal name and to establish the legal guardianship of the child.

        Typically, we use the enrolling student's birth certificate to verify the student's age and legal name and to establish to whom custody of the enrolling student belongs. (See the section on Birth Certificates for specific requirements.)

        Under the following circumstances, the custodial parent must provide certain additional documents:

        • In cases where the enrolling student's parents are divorced or legally separated, the custodial parent must present the court order granting custody to school personnel and any issues addressed before enrollment.  It should be noted that per S.C. Code Ann. § 63-17-20(B), the custody of a child born out of wedlock is solely in the natural mother unless the mother has relinquished her rights to the child. 
        • In the case of guardianship (not to be confused with parental custody), the enrolling student's legal guardian must present the court order establishing guardianship to school personnel and any issues addressed before enrollment.

        A state affidavit can be used for enrollment in specific circumstances as set forth in state law (S.C. Ann. §§ 59-63-31 to 32).

      In-District Transfers

      • Student transfer applications will be accepted beginning April 4, 2022, through June 30, 2022.

        Students who wish to attend a school other than the school assigned for their residence are required to complete an application for a student transfer. HCS does not provide transportation for approved elective transfers. Transfers may be denied if the school requested in the transfer application is at, or over, capacity.

        Transfer requests are approved only for the period comprising a single academic year except as noted in the following sentence. Transfer requests do not have to be submitted for a student to remain in the same school or the next level in the attendance area (i.e., elementary to middle school) for which his/her transfer request was previously approved as long as he/she meets the same conditions that led to the prior approval.

        Request an in-district transfer 

      Frequently Used Documents