Student Use of Computers
Computer equipment is available to SJHS students to assist in furthering their education. Computer activities not directly related to educating our students within the approved guidelines are not allowed. Students should use computer equipment only under the supervision of teachers. When a student damages or changes a computer, whether intentionally or unintentionally, privileges to use the computer may be lost. Therefore, students should be aware of the following guidelines concerning the use of computer equipment.
1. Passwords and other electronically recorded data are the property of Horry County Schools.
2. The deliberate production or introduction of a virus onto computer stations and networks is prohibited (and illegal) and will result in disciplinary action.
3. Accessing and/or modifying information to which the computer user has not been given appropriate authorization is prohibited. This includes attempting to bypass the internet filter to access prohibited websites.
4. Vandalism of electronic equipment will result in disciplinary action. Vandalism includes but is not limited to deliberately erasing data and/or files, placing foreign objects into equipment, removing or altering any components that are part of the equipment.
5. Technology users must adhere to the copyright law. This includes, but is not limited to making copies of items that are covered by copyright such as music, videos, or print materials and illegally downloading mp3s, video files or software.
CONSEQUENCES Any violation of the rules for use of computers will result in one of the following consequences, depending upon the severity and frequency of the offense: ISS, OSS, recommendation for expulsion, monetary restitution, and/or revocation of all access to school computers.