National Junior Honor Society
The Honor Society chapter establishes rules for membership that are based upon a student's outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These criteria for selection form the foundation upon which the organization and its activities are built.
- Scholarship: Students who have a average of a 90 (with no grade lower than a C), score in the 30% or higher on MAP Reading and Math testing, No Out of School suspensions, and no more than 2 In School suspensions, meet the scholarship requirement for membership. These students are then eligible for consideration on the basis of service, leadership, and character (and citizenship for NJHS).
- Service: This quality is defined through the voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community, done without compensation and with a positive, courteous, and enthusiastic spirit.
- Leadership: Student leaders are those who are resourceful, good problem solvers, promoters of school activities, idea-contributors, dependable, and persons who exemplify positive attitudes about life. Leadership experiences can be drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others.
- Character: The student of good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.
NJHS: What is it?
The National Junior Honor Society is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding middle level students. More than just an honor roll, NJHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1929.
What do we do here at AMS?
NJHS participates in service projects both in and outside of school. This past 2015-2016 school year we have raised money to support Breast Cancer, Relay for Life and Veterans. We have also been responsible for sponsoring Red Ribbon Week (Anti-Drug), World Kindness Day, Anti-Bullying Day and bringing in donations of food and clothing for those in need.
What kind of student is AMS looking for to be part of NJHS?
We are looking for students who excel in Academics as well as Character. Students must have at least a 90 GPA to be considered for NJHS. The application process also includes teacher recommendations, outside volunteer work and a character essay.
When can students apply?
NJHS only accepts 7th and 8th graders. Students apply at the beginning of the academic school year. Announcements will be sent out in the Fall of 2016 on when this application process will take place. GPA from the previous year is what students will be measured on.
What is expected after I join?
- Maintain a 90 average (with no grade lower than a C), No OSS, & <= 2 ISS
- Attend monthly meetings (7:40am—8:10am)
- Participate in Service/Community Projects
- $10 club due
- Adhere to the standards set forth in the Constitution of the NJHS
Please contact Hillary O’Hagan for any questions.
843-358-6000 Ext: 3417