Attendance in middle school is counted class by class. Students are not allowed to miss more than 10 unexcused/unverified absences in each class. Missing over 10 unexcused/unverified days in any class may cause the student to receive no credit for that class.
If a student is absent from school....
1. On the day of return, the student must present a note to the attendance clerk before classes begin. Without a note, the absence is unverified.
The note should include the following:
- Current date
- Student's name
- Date(s) of absence
- Parent signature
- Reason for absence
- Parent's daytime phone number
2. After receiving the note from the parent, the attendance clerk will give the student an ADMIT SLIP to class.
Doctor's notes must be verifiable, and they only excuse the time stated on the doctor's note.
We believe that with our current bell schedule the responsible student will have no problem getting to class on time. Students are expected to be seated, have all instructional materials, and be ready for instruction when the class period begins.
Tardiness will be excused for late bus, legal document, or situations approved by the administration. Since bus transportation is provided, traffic is not considered an excuse for being tardy. A parent note does not excuse tardiness.
Penalties for Tardies:
- First Tardy - Warning
- Second Tardy - Warning/Parent Contact
- Third Tardy - Private Dining/Parent Contact
- Fourth Tardy - Private Dining/Parent Contact
- Fifth Tardy - Parent Contact, Referral to Administration, and Block of In-School Suspension
- Sixth Tardy - Parent Contact, Referral to Administration, and 1/2 day of ISS
- Seventh Tardy - Parent Contact, Referral to Administration, and full day of ISS
**Tardies start over at the beginning of second semester.
If a student is arriving late to school…
Students arriving at school after first block has begun must report immediately to the attendance clerk. The student will be given a class admittance slip. Tardies to school result in the same penalties as tardies to class (see above).
If a student is leaving early . . .
1. Bring a note to the Attendance Clerk before class begins, signed by your parents, stating why you are leaving early and what time you will leave. The student will be issued an Early Dismissal Pass which allows you to leave class at the time stated on your pass. The office may not interrupt a student’s class except in the case of an emergency, so classrooms cannot be called to get a student out early.
2. When the student returns the next day, a note (from the parent or doctor) must be given to the attendance clerk explaining the absence of the previous day.
3. Students signed out by persons other than their parents/guardians or approved emergency contacts must have written permission from the parent or guardian and administration verification.
In no case may a student leave the school grounds unless he/she has been properly signed out in the attendance office by a parent or legal guardian or by the principal, assistant principal, or someone officially designated by one of them. A parent who has transferred legal guardianship of a student to another party may not sign the student out.
Questions please contact our attendance clerk, Austin Wyatt at email@example.com.