Child Development Program
Horry County Schools offers a full-day Child Development (CD) program for eligible students who will be four years old on or before September 1 of the enrollment year. The CD program is an early intervention for at-risk four-year-olds and is designed to prepare children for success in kindergarten. CD classes are taught by state-certified teachers using S.C Early Learning Standards and a state-approved curriculum.
- Promote the development of social, emotional, and academic skills
- Encourage language and vocabulary development
- Establish a cooperative, nurturing, and safe learning environment
- Promote decision making, problem-solving, and respect for others
- Form a partnership with parents to meet the needs of each child
Applicants must be a resident of Horry County to apply for and participate in the CD program. State guidelines require that children be four years old on or before September 1st to apply for CD program. Eligibility for the program is determined by the results of a developmental screening assessment, parent questionnaire responses, family income level, and other contributing factors that may indicate a child could be at-risk for delays.