Advancement Via Individual Determination
HCS Early College High School is a nationally certified AVID high school.
AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. It is a college readiness system designed to to provide in-school academic support that prepares students for college eligibility and success. The
system accelerates students learning through a research-based curriculum and learning strategies. AVID’s curriculum is based on rigorous standards, instruction and practice in writing, reading, critical thinking, organization, and collaboration. In addition students learn Cornell note-taking and participate in Socratic seminars.
The mission of AVID is to ensure that all students
- will succeed in a rigorous curriculum,
- will complete a rigorous college preparatory path,
- will enter mainstream activities of the school,
- will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges/universities,
- will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society.
All students at ECHS are enrolled in an AVID class. Freshmen have AVID one block each day. Upperclassmen traditionally have AVID five out of every ten school days for one block each day.