Science Safety Guidelines
In order for students to benefit from science kit instruction, the following safety guidelines have been implemented at Midland Elementary School...
I am learning to be a good scientist. I know that I must be organized, neat, and well behaved in the science classroom. I promise to:
- Prepare All Activities: I will listen to directions and make sure I understand before I start. I will only work at my assigned station.
- Care for Equipment: I will handle objects carefully. I will not eat, drink, or taste anything in science class. This includes food and drink as well as other items. I will use my science materials only for science activities. I will not play with things like rubber bands, paperclips, or powders.
- Follow Directions: I will wait until I receive my teacher's permission to begin an activity. I will do each step in order and I will not try unknown things.
- Observe Carefully: I will be as quiet and calm as possible so that I can learn more.
- Explore Carefully: I will explore using the senses of touch, smell, sight, and hearing. When using powders, I will try not to make dust because someone might breathe it. I will try not to touch my eyes when I am working, in case there is something on my hands that should not get in my eyes.
- Keep Careful Records: I will record my observations by writing or drawing on my record sheets.
- Clean Up Afterwards: I will put away my equipment when I am done and wash my hands and my workspace.
- Follow All Additional Safety Rules.
- Report Accidents: I will report any injury or accident to my teacher immediately.
- I will share good science safety with students and family so that I can be a good investigator.