What Is Child Find?
Child Find is a component of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA-‘04) that requires states to identify, locate, and evaluate all children with disabilities ages 3 to 21. It is a continuous process of public awareness activities, screening and evaluation to locate, identify, and refer children as early as possible.
Who Can Refer Children to Child Find Services?
- Parents of preschool children who are not enrolled in a public school program and who have concerns about their child’s development
- Other care providers such as health care providers, community agencies, child care programs, and social workers with parental consent
- Parents of school-age children (ages 5 to 21) not enrolled in a public school program who suspect an educational disability
What is the Process?
- A review or screening of available information about the child is conducted.
- If the screening indicates the possibility of an educational disability, the child is evaluated in relevant areas with parental permission.
- If determined that the child has a disability and is in need of special education services, an individualized plan is developed depending on the child's age, disability, and educational needs.
What Is the Cost?
Screening, assessments, evaluations, and all special education services which are determined to be necessary are provided free of charge.
What Services Are Available?
Services are provided for students who meet eligibility criteria as a student with a disability under IDEA-’04. Services may include but are not limited to specialized instruction; speech/language therapy; occupational therapy; physical therapy; counseling; and audiological services.
How Do I Access Child Find Services?
Child Find screenings are conducted on a routine basis throughout the district.
- Children under Age 2 ½:
Contact SC BabyNET : (843)839-5045
- Children Age 2 ½- 6 years NOT enrolled in public school:
Contact HCS Preschool Assessment Office: (843)488-6759
- School-aged Students NOT enrolled in public school:
Contact HCS District Office: (843)488-6808
- School-aged Students currently enrolled in Horry County Schools:
Contact the principal at your school