Automatic Term Life Insurance
Eligible employees may be covered by one or all three of the following benefits at no cost to the employee.
1. HCS Basic Life - All budgeted employees who work 30 or more hours per week are covered by a basic life insurance policy through Minnesota Life at no cost to the employee. [more information]
Employee Age Coverage Amount less than 70 $5,000.00 70 - 74 $3,250.00 75-79 $2,100.00 80 or over $1,585.00
2. Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA) Basic Life - Basic life insurance is provided at no cost to all eligible employees. Enrollment is automatic with enrollment in the State Health Plan. [more information]
Employee Age Coverage Amount less than 70 $3,000.00 70 or over $1,500.00
3. Incidental Death Benefit for Active Members of the PEBA Retirement System:
If, as an active member of the retirement system, you die in service with at least one year of service credit, a payment equal to your current annual earnable compensation will be paid to your designated beneficiary. If your death results from a job-related injury, the one-year requirement is waived.
Optional Life Insurance for Employees
Newly hired employees have two options for additional optional life insurance coverage. Premiums are paid by the employee.
1. HCS Employee Optional Life through Minnesota Life - Within 30 days of your hire date, you can enroll in optional life insurance up to an amount, chosen by you, in increments of $10,000, subject to the lesser of five times your annual earnings rounded to the next higher increment of $10,000, or $550,000. Requests for coverage amounts exceeding $120,000 will require medical evidence of insurability before the coverage is approved. [more information]
2. Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA) Optional Life - Participation in the Optional Life Insurance Program with Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage is on a voluntary, employee-pays-all basis. All premiums are paid by the participants with no contribution by PEBA Insurance Benefits or the state of South Carolina.
You can enroll in Optional Life Insurance within 31 days of the date you are hired. To enroll, you must complete the required forms, including an NOE. Coverage is not automatic. You can elect coverage, in $10,000 increments, up to the lesser of three times your basic annual earnings (rounded down to the nearest $10,000) or $500,000 without providing medical evidence of good health. You can apply for a higher benefit level, in increments of $10,000, up to a maximum of $500,000, by providing medical evidence of good health.[more information]
Optional Life Insurance for Employee Dependents
Newly hired employees have two options for dependent life insurance coverage.
1. HCS Dependent Optional Life through Minnesota Life - Within 30 days of your start date, employees who enroll in HCS Employee Optional Life may also choose one of the following dependent coverage levels. Children can be covered up to age 26.
Option 1: Spouse: $5,000 Child(ren): $5,000 Option 2: Spouse: $10,000 Child(ren): $10,000 Option 3: Spouse: $20,000 Child(ren): $10,000
Spouse: $10,000 is guaranteed if elected within 31 days of initial eligibility, additional coverage requires medical evidence of insurability
Child: Coverage is guaranteed if elected within 31 days of initial eligibility.
2. Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA) Optional Life - You may enroll your eligible dependents in Dependent Life Insurance, a term life insurance program, even if you do not have Optional Life coverage or other state group benefits. Your eligible dependents include:
Your lawful spouse. If your spouse is eligible for coverage as an employee of a participating employer, you cannot cover him as a dependent
Your children, who must be:
- Natural children, legally adopted children, children placed for adoption (from the date of placement with the adopting parents until the legal adoption), stepchildren or children for whom you have legal guardianship, provided the child lives with you and is supported by you
- Older than 14 days but younger than age 19, or 19 years old but younger than age 25, who attend school on a full-time basis (as defined by the institution) as their principal activity and are primarily dependent upon you for financial support. A child cannot be employed on a full-time basis.
The information provided on this page is meant to provide general information about the life insurance benefits offered to employees of Horry County Schools. For specific coverage information including exclusions and premiums, contact Payroll and Benefit Services at 843-488-6840 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For specific information about benefits offered through PEBA, visit their website at www.peba.sc.gov or review your copy of the Insurance Benefits Guide.