Message from the Principal
April 2, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
It is hard to believe we are working on our third week out of school. I want to thank you all for your continued support of Socastee High School. This week the teachers have started new material with the students and utilized programs like Zoom and Google Meet to meet virtually with the students. From the feedback I have received, it seems to be going very well so far. We will continue to update you with any changes as we navigate through eLearning together. Students will continue to access their work through Google Classroom. Below are some updates for week three:
- Per the State Department of Education, the following changes will occur with our grading:
- There will be no final exams for all students.
- Q3 & Q4 will both count 50% towards final grade.
- AP is working on a test of students taking AP classes to earn college credit.
- IB has cancelled their testing, but is using IA’s for earning college credit & IB Diploma Credit.
- Seniors will be done May 15th .
- Senior Grades will store May 22nd .
- Underclassmen will continue to follow already established school calendar.
- Support for Parents and Guardians -- How to Submit Student Work Virtually for High School Student:
- Digital Submissions:
- Google Classroom: Here is a link to a video that will walk you through how to submit assignments and communicate with your teacher through the digital platform. Here is a link to a video that shows you how to upload pictures of student work from your phone to Google Classroom.
- Email Attachments: You can submit assignments as attachments in an email to the teacher. Here is a link to our school directory. Each school website has teacher emails listed on the staff directory page.
- Any Other Questions? Email the Help Line: eLearningHelp@horrycountyschools.net
- Parents and Guardians, please remind your students of the proper use of online platforms. If students are posting inappropriate materials on Google Classroom or making inappropriate comments in virtual meetings, disciplinary consequences can still occur.
- Report cards are available on Power School for parents and students.
- HCS will continue to observe Spring Break April 10th through April 19th.
- Our front gate will be open from 7:00 AM until 7:00 PM daily if you need to use the school's Wi-Fi from the parking lot.
- Pick up and go lunches are available at Socastee Elementary School. Please see our website or the district office website for more information.
- Friday, April 3, 2020, we will have a small team of people at the school to assist with devices and allow for pick-up of hard copies of classwork if you choose to. Please call the school at 843-293-2513 and leave a message if you would like to set up an appointment for Friday. This will be by appointment only so we can keep the numbers low. I will call you back and set up a time that works for you on Friday. Friday pick-up and drop-off dates will include April 3rd and April 24th. This will take place at the main entrance to the school.
Any time you start something new it takes some time to adapt. We are all adapting to eLearning together and I want to thank everyone involved for all their hard work and dedication to the students of Socastee High School. Parents and Guardians, we appreciate your continued support of your students and SHS. We will overcome these challenges together to make this the best learning experience we can for our students. Please continue to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you may have through email, JRich@horrycountyschools.net. I wish you all the best moving forward and stay healthy.
Once a Brave, Always a Brave!
Jeremy Rich, Principal
Socastee High School