Cellular Phones & Electronic Devices
Cell Phones and Devices
The SJHS Administration recommends that NO item of value be brought to school. The school or district assumes NO responsibility for any damaged, lost or stolen devices or lost or damaged data. At St. James High School, we believe that education is a collaborative effort that requires a focused and respectful learning environment. To ensure that every student has the opportunity to excel academically and socially, we have established the following cellphone policy. This policy applies to all students and is developed in consideration of their safety, well-being, and academic success.
1. Cell Phone Usage During Class Hours: Cell Phones should be turned off or put on silent mode during class hours, including classroom instruction, exams, and school assemblies. Students are not allowed to use cellphones for personal calls, text messaging, or accessing social media platforms during class hours.
2. Cell Phone Usage Between Classes and During Breaks: Students are permitted to use cellphones between classes and during designated breaks. However, cell phones should not disrupt the learning environment or any school activity. Headphones or earbuds should be used discreetly during these times, ensuring that they do not interfere with communication with teachers, staff, or peers.
3. Classroom Exceptions: Some educational activities may require the use of cellphones with the teacher's approval. In such cases, students should only use their cellphones for educational purposes. The teacher's guidelines and rules for cell phone usage during specific lessons or activities must be strictly adhered to.
4. Cell Phone Use in Emergencies: In case of emergencies, students are permitted to use their cellphones. However, they should inform a teacher or school staff member immediately after making the call. Parents or guardians can contact the school office in case of emergencies, and the message will be promptly delivered to the student.
5. Cell Phone Storage During Exams: Cell Phones are strictly prohibited during exams unless specified by the teacher for a specific purpose. Students are required to store their cellphones in designated areas during exams to prevent any form of academic dishonesty.
6. Responsible Digital Citizenship: Students are expected to use their cellphones responsibly and respectfully. This includes communicating kindly and appropriately when using text messaging or social media platforms. Cyberbullying, harassment, and inappropriate content sharing will not be tolerated and will result in serious disciplinary actions.
Consequences of Cell Phone Policy Violations:
1. Device being confiscated by administration for 24 hours and returned to parent/guardian between 2:45-3:45 p.m. the following school day;
2. Device being confiscated by administration for 48 hours and returned to parent/guardian between 2:45-3:45 p.m. after two school days;
3. Device being confiscated by administration and returned to parent/guardian between 2:45-3:45 p.m. after the student serves two days out of school suspension. The student will be placed on a cellphone contract and will only be allowed to use school owned electronic devices.
4. If a student continues to possess/use devices, the devices will be confiscated until the last day of school at 3:15 p.m. Student will be disciplined for refusal to obey. Refusing to give the device to an HCS employee will result in a disciplinary action of out of school suspension until the device is surrendered. By adhering to this cell phone policy, we aim to create a positive and focused learning environment for all students. We appreciate the support of parents and guardians in reinforcing these guidelines, as it helps in fostering a respectful and responsible digital community within St. James High School.