SJHS students who are given the privilege of driving an automobile to/from school are required to adhere to all SJHS, Horry County School District, and South Carolina driver regulations/laws. Since driving an automobile to school is a privilege, certain conditions are attached to that privilege. Students who fail to uphold these conditions will be subject to monetary fines and/or loss of parking privileges. The conditions are as follows:
Student drivers with a valid SC driver’s license will be given permission to drive on the SJHS campus. No parking permit will be issued until all outstanding debts and registration are paid.
Students will purchase a school parking permit which will be placed on the vehicle’s front windshield in the bottom left corner — no exceptions. Cars without permits will be fined/towed. The parking permit fee for the 2019-2020 school year is $20 for the first vehicle and $10 for a second vehicle. Registration applications must be completed along with a copy of the student’s SC driver’s license and SC registration. Seniors will receive a free parking pass if they complete all information by the designated date which will be given to seniors on the first day of school. Seniors must pay for additional passes.
- No car is to be parked outside the assigned student parking area from the times 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- No students are to park their cars in the bus/front parking lots, behind the building, or in the rider drop-off areas. A $10 fine will be assessed.
- Students are to obey all traffic laws, signs, and markings while on campus. Speeding and reckless driving are prohibited. Violations will result in loss of driving privileges.
- Students are not to litter the parking lot.
- Students are prohibited from driving across parking lines. Students must use driving lanes only to enter or to exit parking lot.
- Students are to maintain a 5 mph speed limit while driving on campus.
- Disciplinary consequences for students without a valid SJHS decal include: 1st offense-warning; 2nd offense-$10 fine; 3rd offense-$10 fine and call to parent; 4th offense-loss of driving/parking privileges for 15 school days, $10 fine, call to parent, and the possibility of the vehicle being towed at owner’s expense.
General Parking Lot Rules
Students who drive to school should lock and leave their cars promptly once they arrive on campus. No loitering is allowed in the parking areas.
- Students will not be allowed to return to their cars after 8:15 a.m. without a pass from an administrator. Passes will not be written to go back to cars to get belongings that were left in a car.
- SJHS operates with a closed-campus policy, a policy which means that no student is to leave campus during any part of the day unless he/she has been given permission by an administrator or an administrator’s designee.
- Students are further cautioned that unauthorized visitors to campus are trespassing and will be subject to arrest and prosecution.
- The student agrees that he/she will not bring onto the school grounds or keep in his/her vehicle while it is on the school grounds any gun, ammunition, explosive, knife, blackjack, or other weapon, and any alcohol or illegal substances.
- The school and the school district will not be liable for damages or theft to vehicles. Students are urged to lock their vehicles at all times.
- Vehicles are subject to searches by administration. Trained dogs and their handlers are utilized on school property.
RULES FOR DRIVERS GOING AND RETURNING FROM SCHOOL PROPERTY
- Students leaving the SJHS campus for approved reasons should exit through the front entrance after signing out at the front desk.
- Students returning to campus following an approved reason for leaving must use the front entrance and immediately report to the front desk to sign in.