Welcome to Semester 2 of the 2021-22 school year.
Below please find the modifications that have been made to our live meet requirements and daily schedule for the upcoming semester.
Modifications have been made to our schedule based on student academic performance and
attendance data. In addition we have a large increase in student enrollment for this semester.
The modifications are as follows:
● Secondary students are now required to attend live meets at assigned times.
● Students will no longer have the option to choose the class times they want to attend.
● All Live meets are scheduled for 45 minutes and students are required to attend all classes
each day. Learning Lab is no longer a specified time in the schedule. Due to the increase in
class time, we have built in learning lab times into Live Meets.
● The daily schedule includes transition times as well as 2-20 minute breaks that will be used for
advisory. Students will be informed when advisory is scheduled.Students will have a lunch
break each day.
● It is an expectation students will complete asynchronous work daily.
● Listed below are the daily Live Meet schedules for Middle and High School.
-Students in grades 6-8 will be assigned 4-6 live meets per day
-Students in grades 9-11 will be assigned 4 live meets per day.
-Students in grade 12 will be assigned 2-4 live meets per day.
-Recorded lessons will not be an option for daily attendance. This change was made
based on data collected on student academic performance. If there is an extenuating
circumstance, please contact your advisory teacher and they will notify and submit a
request to administration for approval.
Our goal is to provide high-quality instruction to support the academic and social needs of our
students. We truly appreciate all of your support and continued success of your child’s success
2021 - 2022 School Year - Semester 1
K-12 HCS Virtual Attendance
Live Lessons Overview
In order to be successful in HCS Virtual, live lessons and face to face time with the teacher are essential for students. Students have the opportunity to attend live sessions with their teachers daily. Teachers will be providing daily live lessons related to the coursework in Buzz aligned to the South Carolina Curriculum Standards.
Live lessons will be offered daily by teachers:
- once in the morning
- once in the afternoon
To be counted present for the day, the student must log in and actively participate in synchronous instruction for each of their courses on a daily basis. This is to ensure that all students are successful in the program.
- Students in grades K-5 are required to attend based on their assigned daily instructional schedule. Daily attendance will be recorded in PowerSchool by homeroom/advisory on a daily basis.
- Students in grades 6-12 are required to attend based on their assigned daily instructional schedule. Students are required to attend synchronous learning on a daily basis for at least 30 minutes per class. This may be live with the teacher or the student has the option to review a pre-recorded teacher session for that day. In order to be counted as present, students must log in to the live and/or recorded session and complete the assigned task by midnight on a regular school day. Teachers will record attendance in PowerSchool by 9:00 am for the previous attendance day.
- Students are only required to participate in synchronous learning for their courses on all HCS student-assigned days outlined on the HCS student instructional calendar.
- Students are required to meet all of the South Carolina truancy requirements. A student will be considered truant if he/she accumulates three consecutive unlawful absences or five total unlawful absences the student will be placed on an attendance intervention plan (AIP) for an entire calendar year.
- If a student fails to meet the attendance requirement for 10 consecutive days, the student will be dropped from enrollment in HCS in PowerSchool for non-attendance.
- Students who are unenrolled due to non-attendance are required to re-enroll and attend their brick and mortar school. The student will have the opportunity to re-register the following school year to K-12 HCS Virtual School.
- Students will be coded as SC-VTP (Present Code) or SC-UNEX (Absent Code) daily. For an absence to be excused, parents and students must provide documentation(medical or other) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lawful absences are described as the following:
- students who are ill and whose attendance in school would endanger their health or the health of others may be temporarily excused from attendance.
- students and whose immediate family there is a serious illness or death.
- students with pre-arranged absences for other reasons and or extreme hardships at the discretion of the principal.
Unlawful absences are described as the following:
- students who are willfully absent from school without the knowledge of their parents.
- students who are absent without acceptable cause with the knowledge of their parents or guardians.
Teachers will be available for individual meetings and/or small group sessions daily. A student or parent can schedule a meeting with their teacher. Teachers may require scheduled individual meetings or small group meetings during this time if a student needs instructional support.
Recommendations for Total time in Courses
(Live with Teacher AND Working in Buzz Coursework)
Students in Grades K-5 are encouraged to attend live sessions with teachers every day and spend at least 120 minutes a day on Buzz coursework, for a total of 600 minutes a week to be successful in the program.
Students in Grades 6-12 are encouraged to attend live lessons with their teachers every day and spend at least 240 minutes a day on Buzz coursework, for a total of 1200 minutes a week to be successful in the program.
Live Lesson Schedules by Level
- Elementary School Live Meeting Schedule
- Middle School Live Meeting Schedule
- High School Live Meeting Schedule
Document last edited 08/16/2021