Horry County Schools: A Purple Star District
In November 2023, Horry County Schools was named a Purple Star School District by the South Carolina State Department of Education. The Purple Star School program makes a significant commitment to welcome and support military families.
SC Department of Education Criteria for Purple Star
- Assign a designated liaison to be a single point of contact for military families and military-connected students who is trained to support issues that face military families, including relocation, deployment, loss, and academic training
- Create a website specifically for military families to provide current information about schools and the district
- Adhere to the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission to ensure that students receive transfer credit from previous schools so they will not have to retake classes
- Ensure that transfer students can participate in sports, clubs, and other school enrichment programs
- Provide specialized training for school counselors, staff, and administrators.
About Horry County Schools
Horry County Schools is inspiring possibilities for student success through a broad range of unique teaching and learning opportunities.
Horry (pronounced O-Ree) County Schools is made up of 56 schools within nine attendance areas: Aynor, Carolina Forest, Conway, Green Sea Floyds, Loris, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Socastee, and St. James. Horry County Schools has more than 48,000 students and is South Carolina’s third-largest school district.