- Burgess Elementary
BES Turtle Talk
Burgess Elementary School
November 2, 2018
- 11/6 – Schools Closed for Election Day
- 11/12 - BES Spirit Night at Mod Pizza
- 11/17 - PTO Ho Ho Hoedown Fall Festival
- 11/19 - Mega Party for students who qualified through the fall PTO fundraiser
- 11/20 - Report cards will be sent home
- 11/21 - Hurricane Make-up day - School Open
- 11/22-11/25 - Thanksgiving Break! Enjoy the well-deserved time to rest with family and friends!
- 11/28 - 3rd and 4th Leader and Learner Ceremonies (Merit Roll/Honor Roll)
- 4th at 8:15 and 3rd at 9:15
- 12/3 - DIBELS Testing Begins (window 12/3-12/17)
- 12/11 - Giving Market/Holiday Store
- 12/11 - Holiday Performance at 5:30 (Giving Market/Holiday Store - open during performance)
- 12/12 - Giving Market - Holiday Store - Open Shop
- 12/19 - Hurricane Make-up day - School Open
- 12/20 - Hurricane Make-up day - School Open
- 12/20 - Polar Express Minute-to-Win-It Day - Celebration of fall personal best and goals met – Pajama Day for all!
- 12/20 - Interims sent home
- 12/21 - 1/1 - Winter Break!!! Enjoy every moment!!!
- Our lifeskill for the week is Courage.
- The lifelong guideline is Truthfulness.
Attendance Reminder Don't forget to FALL BACK - set your clocks back one hour this Sunday!
This is also a reminder that students are to be in their classrooms by 7:30 in the morning. Any student arriving in their CLASSROOM after 7:40 will be marked tardy. Please have your student to school by 7:30 so they can start their day off relaxed instead of rushing.
Help support Burgess Elementary!
We’ve asked Boosterthon to power our tumbler sale program, which will last until November 12th, and will make our fundraising simple, very profitable, and extremely fun!
My Community Tumblers is a product-sale fundraiser that raises funds for our school by providing high-quality tumblers to family, friends, and others in your community! These customized tumbler cups give others the opportunity to champion their local community, rep their favorite team, or show off their personality—all while supporting our school!
Here’s how you can support Burgess Elementary PTO:
- Review the flyer sent home with your student and Register at fund.school/burgess.
- Reach out to sponsors. Every student’s goal is to receive 5-7 orders. Share your school page with family, friends, etc.
- Submit all orders online.
4. Orders will be delivered to the buyers house.
5. Prizes will be delivered to the school after the program
ends on November 27th!
Thank you for supporting and strengthening our school!
PowerSchool Information Updates
Parents can now update contact information through your PowerSchool Parent Portal. Just log into your account and click on the Year Round Update tab on the bottom left.
If you do not have a Power School Parent Portal contact Angie Brown (Data Quality) for help. 843-215-6060.
PTO Spirit Nights
11/12 - Mod Pizza - The Surfside location will host a Burgess spirit night.
Ho Ho Hoedown
The Ho Ho Hoedown, our fall festival, will take place on November 17th from 11:00-2:00. It will be a fun filled day with games, inflatables, activities and much more!
Volunteers are needed beginning at 8:00 for set-up, activities and clean-up. If you are willing to volunteer, please contact the front desk at (843) 650-4600.
As part of the health assessment program with Horry County Schools, your child will have vision, hearing, and dental screenings done throughout the school year.
Vision Screenings: Child Development, K,1st,2nd and 3rd Grades.
Hearing Screenings: Child Development, K, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Grades.
Dental Screening: Child Development, K, and 3rd Grades.
You will be notified if your child fails this screening with a letter that will be sent home for further evaluation to be completed. If you have any questions, need further information, or would NOT like to have your child screened, please contact our school nurse at 843-650-4600. Thank you for your cooperation in support of our commitment to excellence in education.
From Our Health Office:
Too Sick for School?
Please make sure to update your phone number as well as emergency contact numbers so that we can reach you if your child needs medical attention.
Cold and flu season is here. It is important for your child to be in school but only if s/he is healthy. Please see a few guidelines below:
- Fever: Student’s with an elevated temperature of 100.5 F (or greater) should remain home from school during the course of the fever until they are fever free for 24 hours (without the use of fever reducing medications).
- Diarrhea: Students with diarrhea symptoms (3 or more loose stools in a 24-hour period) should remain home from school until symptoms have resolved for at least 24 hours.
- Vomiting: Student’s that have vomited two or more times during the previous 24 hours should remain home from school until student’s vomiting has resolved and student is able to remain hydrated and participate in activities.
*Please feel free to contact your school nurse for any questions and or concerns at 843-650-4600.
School Facebook Page
We share many updates and school events on Facebook. Please join our page!
Box Tops We will be collecting box tops all year! Each box top earns $0.10 for BES!
Volunteering at Burgess
We love our volunteers and appreciate their help! All volunteers must be approved. Additionally, any parent wishing to attend a field trip must be approved and the process takes some time. Please complete the volunteer application at the following link:
Clubs at Burgess
4th Grade BES Archery (Mrs. Randolph) – meets Tues & Thurs from dismissal – 4:30 PM:
11/8, 11/13, 11/15, 11/20, 11/27, 11/29, 12/4, 12/6, 12/11, 12/13, 12/18, 12/20, 1/3, 1/8, 1/10, 1/15, 1/17, 1/22, 1/24, 1/29, 1/31
2nd Grade BES Morning Art Club GROUP A (Mrs. Dinkel) – meets Wed from 7:10 AM to 7:40 AM:
11/7, 11/28, 12/12, 1/2, 1/23, 2/6, 2/20, 3/6
2ndGrade BES Morning Art Club GROUP B (Mrs. Dinkel) – meets Wed from 7:10 AM to 7:40 AM:
11/14, 12/5, 12/19, 1/9, 1/30, 2/13, 2/27, 3/13
3rdGrade BES Afterschool Art Club (Mrs. Dinkel) – meets Tues from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM:
11/13, 11/20, 11/27, 12/4, 12/11, 12/18, 1/8
3rd& 4thGrade Chorus Club (Mrs. Johnson) – meets Tues from 3:15 PM to 3:45 PM:
11/13, 11/20, 11/27, 12/4, 12/11 (evening performance 12/11/18)
BES Drama Club (Miller, Duke, L & A Johnson, Armstrong) – meets Wed 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM:
11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 11/28, 12/5, 12/12, 12/19, 1/2, 1/9, 1/16, 1/23, 1/30, 2/6, 2/13, 2/20, 2/27, 3/6, 3/13, 3/20, 3/27, 4/3 (performance 4/9 & 4/10)
4thGrade Good Morning Burgess Club (Mrs. Satterfield) – meets Wed 3:00 PM to 3:45 PM:
10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/28, 12/5, 12/12, 1/9, 1/16
4thGrade BES Garden Club (String & Willis) – meets Thurs 2:50 PM to 4:00 PM:
11/15, 11/29, 12/13, 1/10, 1/24, 2/7, 2/21, 3/7, 3/21, 4/11, 4/25, 5/2
3rd& 4thGrade BES Roboturtles (Adam & Gafford) – meets Thurs 2:45 PM to 4:00 PM:
11/8, 11/15, 11/29, 12/6, 12/13
4thGrade Student Council (Miller & Pinckney) – meets Thurs 2:45 PM to 3:45 PM:
We will engage in several practice safety drills throughout the year.
If you received this e-mail in error or if you do not wish to receive the BES parent weekly e-mail, please e-mail our school secretary, Kendall Ward, at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will remove you from the list.
Burgess Elementary School9645 Scipio Ln.Myrtle Beach, SC 29588(843) 650-4600